Monday, September 26, 2005

Playlist: Sleater-Kinney One Beat
Ani Difranco Out of Range

Knitting Project: New Fingerless Gloves (the left one of my hot pink cable knit ones has disappeared, if you've seen it please let me know). The new gloves will be grey and cranberry colored cashmerino.

I guess I never gave jam bands their due respect. Somehow in my head I have always seperated Miles Davis and the Grateful Dead more than is necessary. I think of the Dead and the Allman Brothers as pioneering jam bands, not musical groups furthering a jazz tradition. I was raised by hippie parents, so I am no stranger to jam bands, but the presentation today gave me new insight into and new respect for jam bands.

I laud the group for their emphasis on different types of music being jam ridden. My favorite band, Sleater Kinney jams on their most recent album, The Woods — in fact when I saw them live this summer during a jam they even sampled/stole/borrowed from John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme.

Speaking of the issue of sampling v. stealing v. borrowing, the reading today was rife with interesting ideas. I love the Milton quote in the Oswald piece: "A good composer does not imitate, he steals" (136). Reading the Oswald piece on sampling and having listened to the Dolly Parton mix from Playlist 1, you can see how blending so much together could be a new piece of music. The Oswald piece made sampling more scholarly. What I want to know is, how different is Plunderphonics from License to Ill? Does the fact that Oswald doesn’t sing (at least on the Dolly track) or put his voice on it make it classier somehow? Is it his non rap background that helped him not actually get sued by the artists he enraged? If it is the rapping and sampling mix that makes the Beastie Boys more exploitive than John Oswald, then please explain the difference between Oswald and DJ Dangermouse. He mixed Jay Z’s Black Album with the Beatles’ White Album to make his own, the Grey Album. Sorry there is no way to actually obtain this music legally.as both Jay Z and I would assume Michael Jackson (he does own most Beatles rights, doesn’t he) have threatened to sue if the album is ever sold. In fact I think that for performing it hes been threatened with lawsuits. Anyway after that long ramble I was just trying to work out why DJ Dangermouse seems less academic than John Oswald. Funny that Oswald can seem academic, when you think about what he does and most artists you would study in a music course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home